Cory and Angela Hogan: Guadalajara, México

Monday, December 16, 2013

And then there were two!



That’s right.  One trimester of language school at CINCEL is officially over.  I am now 1/3 of the way to knowing all there is to know about the Spanish language (if you believe that- there is a deposed Nigerian prince in need of your financial assistance).  I am off to a pretty decent start though.  The language school is meant to give the missionaries a solid start to their lives in Latin America so they can do ministry and continue to develop their language skills in the country of God’s choosing.  I definitely think it is doing that.  I am able to understand what someone is talking about roughly ½ of the time so I am excited about that.  Of course, more often than not their comments are of a simple variety:  

“What would you like to drink/ eat?”

“How are you doing today?”

“That will be 6500 colones.” (The Costa Rican currency is around 500:1 with the US dollar, so 6500 would be roughly $13.00)

“Did you see that guy just now, he was REALLY tall?”  (This is said more about me than to me, but I still count it.)

The point being, if they want to talk about politics or anything more than the daily norm, I am lost.  But considering where I was, I feel like I am coming along well and anticipate the more complicated stuff to come in the next two trimesters I am here.  

It is a bitter sweet time though.  On the one hand, I am very excited we have finished 1/3 of the stay here, that I am learning the language and we are that much closer to Mexico.  I am also excited that several friends who just graduated are now either in the states making final preparations to move or already doing the work in the country God has called them to.  But, that same excitement brings some sorrow as we had to say goodbye to thirteen different people that I was just barely starting to get to know.  The amazing people I have become privileged to call friends are now scattered throughout North and South America with a great chance that I won’t ever get to see some of them again.  While there are a few minor negatives about being in Costa Rica instead of Mexico to learn the language, I am forever grateful for the fact that I am able to build this network of friends and colleagues while here. Several of our friends are still here, and several more will show up in January.  Many of them will leave in April with more coming in May.  It is a world of hello’s and goodbye’s while at CINCEL, but one I am thankful God brought me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment