Cory and Angela Hogan: Guadalajara, México

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pride cometh before a fall…..eth.



“I’M DOING AWESOME AT SPANISH!”

Oh no.... wait:

“I’VE LEARNED NOTHING THE ENTIRE TIME I’VE BEEN HERE!”


Those two statements are the extremes and not really my thoughts, but I do bounce between one side and the other of that spectrum of thinking.

I will have a day or moment when I feel like I have just nailed the conversation.  We will be in class and I will know a word my classmates don’t, remember the conjugation for a word when others can’t or without help, or just understand the directions the teacher gave and feel pretty good about my progress in Spanish.  There are times when I will talk to the teachers or someone on the street or at church and the Spanish flies out of their mouth quicker than an F-15 taking off.  I don’t miss a beat but understand most of what they say and I am able to adequately respond and have an actual conversation (albeit a short one).  I walk away with a smile on my face and a dance in my heart.

Then it happens.  I see someone else I know and they come up to me and start talking to me:

“Hola.  ¿Cómo está?”  In that moment the only thing I can do is look at him and say,

“I don’t speak any Spanish.  What did you say?”   I walk away not with a smile on my face but with teeth gritted in frustration- and not with a little man dancing for joy in my heart, but that same man lying on the floor screaming in pain as he just broke his ankle trying to dance.

Just a few days ago in class we were talking and the teacher asked when I study.  I knew enough Spanish to joke and tell her, “Oh I don’t study because I have already learned all there is to know about the Spanish language.”  I think she knew it was a joke- she laughed and then said something I couldn’t understand as it was in Spanish.

Obviously I have moved on past “hello, how are you?”  But, God does a good job of recognizing when I am getting a bit too confident and cuts me back down to size.  I have never gotten so frustrated I felt like crying, nor excessively prideful in my linguistic abilities, but either one could happen at times.  Fortunately, the pride does come before the fall so anytime I am getting too confident, God helps me to remember I know approximately 2.8% of what I need to know and will be a lifelong student of this language.  In the same way, when I get to the point of being frustrated and prefer to stop talking or listening, He helps me to have a moment of success to show me just how much I have progressed.  He is definitely a good God that gives us exactly what we need- whether we think it is a “good” thing or a “bad” thing that has happened- God gives it to us so it is good for us. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very interesting and I enjoy reading it.
    This post was extra fun...especially the little man in your heart as he was "dancing for joy in [your] heart, but that same man lying on the floor screaming in pain as he just broke his ankle trying to dance." You are great at explaining things.
    Keep up the great work! God bless you! ~Savannah

    ReplyDelete